Monday, June 1, 2015

Laylat al-Baraat


Moral of this story: you aren't going to find a lot of credible news sites explaining the significance of Laylat al-Baraat to include on your blog. Which is kind of surprising. I'll ask my colleagues about it tomorrow and hopefully get some good information. Until then, try to accept that is is more likely than not a holy night here in Istanbul, marked by the kind gift of halva my neighbor gave me.

I also wanted to capture the 10:02 p.m. call to prayer on this video, but I didn't act fast enough. By the time I sat down and started talking to my camera, it had just ended. But like every self-respecting blogger taking touristy videos of everything in Istanbul, I recorded a call to prayer during the day last week. So you can just play the following video when I mention the call to prayer in the first video, and if you close your eyes, you'll have no idea that I didn't think to plan ahead.

 

İyi geceler everyone!

6/2 UPDATE: Yes, it was Laylat al-Baraat yesterday, but according to the people at my internship, the level of importance varies from person to person. They confirmed that it's the day when Allah removes your sins for the coming year, so you can start anew before Ramadan.

XXOO

No comments:

Post a Comment