Monday, June 29, 2015

R and J Go to Grand Bazaar

Istanbul's Grand Bazaar is near the Blue Mosque and Sultanahmet. Its website boasts that it covers over 60 streets, a fact of which R and I are not entirely convinced because that's a whole lot of streets. But we walked in several different directions and are positive we did not see the whole thing—so it's possible!

To get to the bazaar, shoppers walk through arches at the end of narrow streets like this:
 

Inside the Grand Bazaar, shop owners stand right outside their shops and try to lure customers into buying hookah pipes, lamps, teacups, coffee cups, clothes, sunglasses, rugs, pillows, etc. We heard things like, "is it my turn yet?" and "anyway, this way is the right way!" from men trying to grab our attention. Oddly enough, once I pulled my phone out to take some video, they stopped... Enjoy this video of some sights from the Grand Bazaar. And don't worry; this won't be our only trip! You'll see me bargain miserably some time in July. ;]


Song is Gino D'Auri "Quelo de Triana." (I really like pretty flamenco guitar music.)

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment